Baroness Suttie – 2016 Parliamentary Question to the Home Office

The below Parliamentary question was asked by Baroness Suttie on 2016-01-14.

To ask Her Majesty’s Government what assessment they have made of the current procedures for processing official documents of homeless people wishing to return to their country of origin, and whether they have plans to improve those procedures.

Lord Bates

Immigration Enforcement works closely with homeless charities conducting activity across the country often encountering EU or foreign nationals who are homeless. Any individual that wishes to return home can be assisted either by the charity or Immigration Enforcement to obtain a travel document, liaising with embassies and high commissions if necessary to obtain a document quickly. Immigration Enforcement can also issue a European Union letter if an individual wishes to travel to their home country within the EU.

In addition, the Home Office Voluntary Departures Service provides support to those with identified vulnerability who wish to make a voluntary return. The support available depends on the unique circumstances of each individual but may include help with travel, transfers, medical support and help to reintegrate in the country of return.

The Department is constantly reviewing its processes to further improve its engagement with partners.