Tag: News Story

  • NEWS STORY : Bradford man jailed after police find more than 87,000 indecent images of children

    NEWS STORY : Bradford man jailed after police find more than 87,000 indecent images of children

    STORY

    A Bradford man has been jailed for three years and 10 months after police found more than 87,000 indecent images and videos of children on his devices. Richard Pooley, 60, of North Dean Avenue, was sentenced at Bradford Crown Court on Thursday 20 August after being convicted of offences including three counts of making an indecent photograph of a child and possession of a prohibited image of a child.

    Pooley was also convicted of possession of an extreme pornographic image involving an animal, observing a person doing a private act and operating equipment beneath another person’s clothing without consent. He was placed on the sex offenders register for life and made subject to a 10 year Sexual Harm Prevention Order.

    West Yorkshire Police began its investigation after receiving intelligence in October 2024 that indecent images had been uploaded to the internet. Officers from the Online Child Abuse Investigation Team identified Pooley, arrested him and seized his devices. Examination of the equipment uncovered more than 87,000 images and videos, including material police said Pooley had obtained by using hidden cameras to secretly film children.

  • NEWS STORY : Doncaster councillor condemns Harewood pub over social media post targeting traffic warden as pub’s licence may be reviewed

    NEWS STORY : Doncaster councillor condemns Harewood pub over social media post targeting traffic warden as pub’s licence may be reviewed

    STORY

    A Doncaster councillor has condemned The Harewood over a social media post which targeted a female council enforcement officer during a dispute over parking enforcement. Gemma Cobby, who is the City of Doncaster Council portfolio holder responsible for regulation and enforcement, said she was “deeply appalled” by the venue’s behaviour and described the comments directed at the officer as misogynistic.

    Cobby said no council officer should be publicly shamed for carrying out their role and argued that any concerns about an officer’s conduct or challenges to parking tickets should be raised through the council’s formal procedures. She added that people could also raise concerns directly with her in her role as portfolio holder rather than targeting individual members of staff online.

    The councillor said she had checked with the relevant service manager on the wellbeing of the officer involved and would offer to meet her personally to thank her for the work she does. The intervention follows criticism of The Harewood after it published a photograph of the enforcement officer on Facebook and made personal comments about her appearance, prompting accusations of bullying and calls from some local residents for a boycott of the venue.

  • NEWS STORY : TikTok groomer convicted of more than 40 further child sexual offences

    NEWS STORY : TikTok groomer convicted of more than 40 further child sexual offences

    STORY

    A convicted sex offender who used TikTok to groom young girls has admitted more than 40 further offences after additional victims were identified. Dominic Woodcock, 23, pleaded guilty to offences including causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity, distributing indecent images and engaging in sexual communication with a child. He was convicted at Birmingham Crown Court on 14 August and will remain in prison until he is sentenced in December.

    Woodcock had previously been jailed for four years and eight months in 2024 after an investigation found that he had used the social media platform to target children. West Midlands Police said he operated a fake gymnastics promotion account and initially contacted young girls asking them to send videos of themselves performing gymnastics routines. After establishing contact, he would seek indecent images and threaten to expose victims online if they refused his requests.

    Further children targeted by Woodcock were subsequently identified, allowing officers from West Midlands Police’s Child Abuse Investigation team to bring the additional charges. The force said officers continue to work to identify and prosecute people who target children online and urged parents and carers to discuss internet use with young people, establish appropriate boundaries and ensure children understand the risks associated with sharing images online.

  • NEWS STORY : Sue Gray says working in Starmer’s Downing Street became ‘unbearable’

    NEWS STORY : Sue Gray says working in Starmer’s Downing Street became ‘unbearable’

    STORY

    Sue Gray has described her period as Keir Starmer’s chief of staff in Downing Street as “unbearable”, saying repeated internal briefings and leaks created an atmosphere in which she feared conversations could be recorded and passed to journalists. Speaking publicly in detail about her departure for the first time, Gray said the situation had become extremely difficult and had begun to affect her personal life.

    Gray said she raised her concerns with Starmer on several occasions but was disappointed that more action was not taken. She also disputed reports from the period suggesting she had attempted to move senior adviser Morgan McSweeney away from the Prime Minister, saying discussions about office arrangements had been misrepresented. Some former Downing Street advisers have challenged Gray’s account, with one telling the Guardian that they did not recognise claims of a culture of briefings against her.

    The Labour peer also questioned the clarity of Starmer’s political direction during his period in office, arguing that leadership required a clear vision and agenda. She contrasted his approach with that of his successor Andy Burnham, whom she said had entered Downing Street with a clearer idea of what he wanted to achieve. Gray resigned as Starmer’s chief of staff in October 2024 after only a few months in Government, saying at the time that controversy surrounding her position risked becoming a distraction.

  • NEWS STORY : Rowan Williams accuses Farage of using Christianity to channel anti-Muslim feeling

    NEWS STORY : Rowan Williams accuses Farage of using Christianity to channel anti-Muslim feeling

    STORY

    Former Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams has accused Reform UK leader Nigel Farage of using references to Britain’s Christian heritage as a means of channelling anti-Muslim sentiment. Williams, who served as Archbishop of Canterbury from 2002 until 2012, made the comments in an interview with New Humanist magazine in which he discussed the growth of Christian nationalism and the role of religion in contemporary politics.

    Williams said anxiety about migration and hostility towards Islam were among the factors driving Christian nationalism in Britain and argued that presenting the UK as a Christian society could provide political support for anti-Muslim arguments. Farage has repeatedly emphasised what he describes as Britain’s Christian or Judeo-Christian inheritance, including saying at Easter that the Christian values on which the country was built should be a source of pride. Earlier this year, he criticised an iftar event in Trafalgar Square, describing it as an attempt to dominate British culture.

    Williams also questioned whether Farage’s interest in Christianity reflected a deep theological commitment and raised similar concerns about activist Tommy Robinson’s public identification with the faith. Reform has increasingly incorporated Christianity into its political messaging, with theologian James Orr taking a senior role in the party and arguing that a Reform government would be more supportive of Christians than its rivals. Farage has described himself as a member of the Church of England, although he has acknowledged that he is not a regular churchgoer.

  • NEWS STORY : Unite failed to maintain satisfactory financial controls in 2021, investigation finds

    NEWS STORY : Unite failed to maintain satisfactory financial controls in 2021, investigation finds

    STORY

    Unite the union failed to establish and maintain a satisfactory system of financial controls during 2021, according to the final report of an independent investigation commissioned by the Certification Officer. The investigation was commissioned in June 2025 following allegations of financial irregularities dating from 2019 and the final report was received by the Certification Officer this month.

    The investigator found that during the year ending 31 December 2021 Unite did not maintain satisfactory controls over its accounting records, cash holdings, receipts and remittances, contrary to requirements in the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992. The report did not find that the breach arose from refusal or wilful neglect.

    The Certification Officer said Unite has since taken substantial steps to address the control failures, including significant strengthening of its finance functions. Following the investigation, the office will review statutory requirements governing annual returns and issue new guidance. It will also recommend financial awareness and compliance training for executive committees and boards of trade unions and employer associations.

  • NEWS STORY : £28 million challenge launched for clean energy storage lasting more than 100 hours

    NEWS STORY : £28 million challenge launched for clean energy storage lasting more than 100 hours

    STORY

    A £28 million Government backed programme has been launched to develop technologies capable of storing clean energy for more than 100 hours. The Ultra Long Duration Energy Storage Challenge will provide grants for projects including advanced battery technologies and underground hydrogen storage, with the aim of allowing renewable electricity to be stored when supply exceeds demand and released when it is needed.

    UK Research and Innovation will administer the funding, with applicants expected to develop systems capable of supplying electricity for at least 100 hours, equivalent to more than four days. The programme will focus on new electrochemical storage technologies which are not yet commercialised at scale and on systems which can store hydrogen underground before releasing it for use when required. An initial competition will make up to £3 million available for project development studies.

    The Government said improved storage could reduce reliance on gas fired generation during periods when wind and solar output is low. It estimates that underground hydrogen storage has the potential to reduce total energy system costs by between £14 billion and £50 billion between 2035 and 2050. The announcement completes the rollout of £102 million of Clean Energy Challenges, which also include a £74 million programme focused on making electricity demand more flexible.

  • NEWS STORY : More than one million students receive GCSE results across England

    NEWS STORY : More than one million students receive GCSE results across England

    STORY

    More than one million students have received GCSE results across England, with Ofqual recording 5,720,045 results issued on Thursday 20 August. A total of 1,047,750 students at 6,040 schools and colleges received GCSE results. Across students of all ages, the average number of GCSEs taken was five, while 16 year old students took an average of eight.

    Among GCSE results issued to 16 year olds, 23.1% were at grade 7 or above and 70.7% were at grade 4 or above. London recorded the highest regional proportions, with 30.2% of results at grade 7 or above and 75.5% at grade 4 or above. In the West Midlands, the corresponding figures were 19.7% and 66.6%. Ofqual said its figures are provisional and results can change following reviews or appeals.

    Mathematics was the GCSE subject taken by the largest number of students, with 851,250 receiving a result, followed by English language with 819,260 and English literature with 613,550. Ofqual also recorded 363,210 technical award results and 11,185 technical certificate results at level 1/2 and level 2, alongside the GCSE results issued this summer.

  • NEWS STORY : Doncaster bar faces backlash over Facebook post targeting traffic warden

    NEWS STORY : Doncaster bar faces backlash over Facebook post targeting traffic warden

    STORY

    A Doncaster bar has faced calls for a boycott after publishing a Facebook post which pictured a female traffic warden and criticised her appearance during a dispute over parking enforcement. The post was made by The Harewood, a bar and restaurant on Waterdale in Doncaster city centre, and subsequently attracted criticism from people who accused the venue of bullying and making a personal attack on a worker carrying out her job.

    The Doncaster Free Press reported that the photograph of the civil enforcement officer was shared as part of a complaint about parking enforcement but that much of the subsequent reaction focused on the decision to comment on the woman’s appearance. Some social media users described the post as “vile” and “bullying”, while others said any disagreement over parking restrictions or enforcement should have been directed at the council rather than an individual member of staff.

    The Harewood is based at 28 Waterdale in Doncaster’s Civil and Cultural Quarter. City of Doncaster Council is responsible for parking enforcement in the city and operates a process through which motorists can challenge penalty charge notices where they believe a ticket has been issued incorrectly. The controversy has prompted significant discussion locally, including calls from some residents for customers to boycott the venue following the Facebook post.

  • NEWS STORY : Nine arrested in Greater Manchester organised crime raids

    NEWS STORY : Nine arrested in Greater Manchester organised crime raids

    STORY

    Nine people have been arrested after Greater Manchester Police carried out 12 simultaneous warrants across Bolton and Tameside as part of an investigation into suspected Class A drug supply. Officers from the force’s Serious and Organised Crime Group, supported by the Tactical Aid Unit, carried out the raids from around 6am on Wednesday 19 August. The investigation began in September 2025 and police said nearly a year of intelligence gathering had led to the operation.

    Two men in their 20s were arrested at addresses on Hurst Street and Rishton Lane on suspicion of conspiracy to supply Class A drugs. Officers said they found what was believed to be around two kilograms of cocaine at one property. A shipping container at a self storage site on Folds Road in Bolton was also searched, where police seized a safe containing about £2,000, a cash counting machine and four bags each containing more than one kilogram of white powder which was subsequently identified as cocaine.

    Police also seized £50,000 in cash from one of the addresses. In total, eight men and one woman aged between 20 and 56 were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to supply Class A drugs. Detective Sergeant Richard McCorry said the operation was intended to disrupt suspected organised crime activity across Greater Manchester and confirmed that the investigation remains ongoing, with further arrests expected.