Wayne David – 2016 Parliamentary Question to the Home Office

The below Parliamentary question was asked by Wayne David on 2016-03-23.

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what advice her Department provides to special constables seeking to claim for loss of earnings due to injuries sustained while on duty.

Mike Penning

In order to ensure that special constables have legal protection, the Home Office provides legal assistance cover currently through Arc Legal Assistance. This is available to all special constables, free of charge, and includes personal injury cover including financial compensation for damages. It also includes cover for legal advice as well as representation at criminal proceedings.

In October 2014 we also allocated £10 million to help support emergency services personnel and volunteers, including special constables. This funding is focused on mental health, physical recuperation and bereavement support for those who need it.