Steve McCabe – 2014 Parliamentary Question to the Home Office

The below Parliamentary question was asked by Steve McCabe on 2014-06-04.

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what guidance his Department has given to local authorities about churches and same sex marriage.

Karen Bradley

Guidance on how to certify a building for religious worship and register for
the solemnization of marriages was issued on 18 February 2014 by the General
Register Office and is available at:

The guidance sets out the different options that are available for places of
worship and registration for the solemnisation of marriage. Registration of
individual places of worship takes place through local registration services
attached to local authorities and they are expected to adhere to the guidance.