Nick Smith – 2016 Parliamentary Question to the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

The below Parliamentary question was asked by Nick Smith on 2016-04-21.

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what proportion of dairy products procured for her Department was sourced from British producers in the last period for which figures are available.

George Eustice

Catering services in Defra are provided under a contract which covers the core Department, several of its network bodies and the Department for Energy and Climate Change. The cost of meals served is not subsidised, and spending on food is determined by the contractor based on sales receipts from customers. During the latest period for which figures are available (Jan-Mar 2016) 93% of dairy products sourced under the contract came from UK producers. The remaining 7% is principally accounted for by spending on non-UK cheese used in several popular dishes.