The press release issued by the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities on 23 October 2023.
£24 million from the Levelling Up Fund was provisionally allocated to Norfolk County Council. The funding will modernise local road systems and enhance public spaces by reducing traffic congestion.
The funding will support the ‘King’s Lynn Sustainable Transport and Regeneration Scheme (STARS)’ project. Improvements to the road system will enable easier entrance and smoother movement around King’s Lynn.
- converting Southgates roundabout into an intersection
- new cycle and pedestrian pathways
- bus priority measures
The transformation of the current one-way system will
- reduce congestion in the area, specifically on Railway Road
- reconnect the sections of Norfolk Street
- enhance public spaces and views for local residents
The planned improvements will help to preserve the area’s natural greenery, creating new scenic views of the South Gate and bridge.