Author: admin

  • NEWS STORY : Green Candidate Chris Kennedy Withdraws from Makerfield By-Election

    NEWS STORY : Green Candidate Chris Kennedy Withdraws from Makerfield By-Election

    STORY

    Chris Kennedy has withdrawn as the Green Party candidate for the Makerfield by-election just hours after being selected. Kennedy, a nurse and children’s safeguarding specialist, had been chosen by local party members to contest the seat, but the party later confirmed that he had stepped down for “personal and family reasons”.

    The withdrawal followed scrutiny of previous social media posts, including material relating to an arson attack on Jewish ambulances in Golders Green. The Guardian reported that the Green Party said the posts did not reflect its values, and that Kennedy had deleted them and apologised.

    The party said it would reopen nominations and hold a new selection meeting on Monday. The Makerfield by-election, expected on 18 June, was triggered after Labour MP Josh Simons resigned, clearing the way for Andy Burnham to seek a return to Parliament. Labour has selected Burnham as its candidate, while Reform UK is standing Robert Kenyon.

  • PRESS RELEASE : Developer sought to create new city quarter for Nottingham as work to transform iconic city centre site gathers pace [May 2026]

    PRESS RELEASE : Developer sought to create new city quarter for Nottingham as work to transform iconic city centre site gathers pace [May 2026]

    The press release issued by Homes England on 20 May 2026.

    Reinvention of former Broad Marsh shopping centre another step closer as Homes England launches preliminary market engagement to appoint development partner.

    Homes England, the government’s housing and regeneration agency, has announced at UKREiiF the launch of its search for a development partner to deliver the regeneration of a landmark city centre site in Nottingham.

    Delegates were presented with an ambitious vision for the scheme, outlining plans to deliver a vibrant, inclusive and sustainable mixed‑use quarter. The development will deliver high‑quality new homes alongside Grade A office space, vibrant retail and leisure amenities, and a carefully integrated public realm, establishing the site as a dynamic destination for residents, businesses and visitors.

    Preliminary market engagement has begun to find a development partner with suitable credentials to accelerate the transformation of the former Broad Marsh shopping centre into a new mixed‑use district.

    The agency acquired the site in March 2025 to help unlock progress and is working closely with partners under a Collaboration Agreement to bring forward the regeneration, with demolition works currently taking place.

    The project is being delivered in partnership with the East Midlands Combined County Authority (EMCCA), and Nottingham City Council, and is central to Nottingham City Council’s long-term vision for the city.

    The new district will reconnect key city centre destinations and improve routes for pedestrians, cyclists and public transport users, with green spaces and public areas to support outdoor activity.

    Jo Nugent, Homes England Executive Regional Director for the Midlands, said:

    Broad Marsh presents a transformative opportunity for Nottingham. Our partnership with Nottingham City Council, and now the East Midlands Combined Authority, formalised through our Collaboration Agreement, reflects a unified commitment from the public sector to bring this project to market successfully.

    We are now focused on securing an experienced Master Development Partner who shares our vision and will work collaboratively with us to deliver a vibrant, mixed-use city quarter that Nottingham can be proud of for generations to come.

    Mayor of the East Midlands, Claire Ward, said:

    Broad Marsh is at the heart of Nottingham, and the people of this city have the highest hopes for what its redevelopment will unlock. As Mayor of the East Midlands, my job is to elevate and enable the vision that local leaders have for their place, and to work in partnership to deliver it.

    The East Midlands Combined County Authority, Homes England, and Nottingham City Council are working together to deliver a vibrant and inclusive scheme around Nottingham’s ‘green heart’. By reimagining Broad Marsh, we have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to unlock economic opportunity, create beautiful homes, and generate countless social and environmental benefits.

    We make no apologies for the level of our ambition because we want to work with a developer that meets this partnership where it is. Join us in building Nottingham’s future.

    Councillor Neghat Khan, Leader of Nottingham City Council, said:

    Broad Marsh is a once-in-a-generation opportunity for Nottingham – one of the UK’s most compelling city-centre regeneration projects.

    Its redevelopment will build on significant local progress with the opening of the new Central Library, creation of a new college campus, and The Green Heart – a fantastic public green space in the city centre.

    We sit at the heart of the UK, geographically and economically, anchoring the East Midlands as a Core City. Nottingham is a place shaped by innovation, fuelled by civic pride, driven by discovery and united through sport. We are a city of legends. But more importantly, we are a city of makers, thinkers and doers

    Today, we launch a bold new Vision for Nottingham’s future — built on confidence, partnership and delivery. From regeneration and housing, to innovation, skills and culture, Nottingham is turning ambition into action. This is Nottingham’s moment.

    Further information for developers about the project can be found by following this market engagement link.

    The project is an example of partnership working between national and regional organisations to accelerate new homes, regenerated spaces and economic growth. It builds on a strategic place partnership between Homes England and East Midlands Combined County Authority, which sets out how partners will work together to deliver long-term benefits for the region.

  • NEWS STORY : New Space System Launched to Protect UK Satellites

    NEWS STORY : New Space System Launched to Protect UK Satellites

    STORY

    A new space awareness system has become operational to help protect UK satellites and the services that depend on them. The Ministry of Defence and UK Space Agency said the Borealis system will improve the UK’s ability to track objects in space, including debris and satellites that could threaten British assets.

    The Government said the system has gone live six months ahead of schedule and will support the National Space Operations Centre by combining and analysing data from multiple sources. Ministers also released the first images from the UK’s Noctis-1 military telescope, including images of objects such as the International Space Station and military communications satellites.

    Defence minister Luke Pollard (in photo) said space was now a contested domain and that protecting satellites was

    important for both the economy and national security. The Government said nearly 20% of UK GDP is reliant on satellite services, including navigation, communications, money transfers and weather forecasting.

  • NEWS STORY : Government Highlights New Protections for Football Fans

    NEWS STORY : Government Highlights New Protections for Football Fans

    STORY

    The Government has set out how the Football Governance Act will give supporters stronger protections over the future of their clubs. Culture Secretary Lisa Nandy (in photo) said the legislation was designed to protect club heritage, improve financial oversight and ensure fans are consulted on important decisions.

    The Act gives the new Independent Football Regulator powers to examine club ownership, require stronger financial planning and prevent clubs from joining prohibited breakaway competitions. It also requires clubs to consult properly before making major changes to badges, colours, names or grounds.

    Ministers said the reforms are intended to protect the football pyramid and give fans a greater say in how clubs are run. The Government said the regulator will also be able to identify individuals who put clubs at risk and take action where necessary.

  • NEWS STORY : Self-Driving Taxi and Bus Pilots Move Closer Under New Scheme

    NEWS STORY : Self-Driving Taxi and Bus Pilots Move Closer Under New Scheme

    STORY

    Passengers could be able to book taxi and bus-style self-driving vehicles later this year after the Government opened applications for operators to join a new pilot scheme. The Department for Transport said the trials would allow approved firms to run services on roads in Great Britain.

    Ministers said the scheme could support older and disabled people, create skilled jobs and help develop the UK’s autonomous vehicle sector. Services will be subject to safety assessments, cyber-security checks and local consent from transport authorities before operating.

    Roads and Buses Minister Simon Lightwood (in photo) said self-driving vehicles could expand independent travel and support economic growth. The pilots will be used to gather real-world evidence as ministers develop the regulations needed for wider deployment of the technology.

  • NEWS STORY : UK Sends Sniffer Dogs to Bulgaria to Tackle Migration Crime

    NEWS STORY : UK Sends Sniffer Dogs to Bulgaria to Tackle Migration Crime

    STORY

    The UK is sending three additional sniffer dogs to Bulgaria as part of efforts to disrupt organised migration crime before it reaches the Channel. The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office said the dogs would help strengthen border security and detect equipment used by criminal networks.

    The Government said the deployment forms part of a whole-route approach to stopping small boats, including cooperation with European partners and the National Crime Agency. More than 1,000 boats and engines have been seized since early 2023 through joint work with countries including Bulgaria, Belgium, France and Germany.

    The announcement follows recent talks in Moldova where Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper secured agreement from European partners on reforms linked to migration cases. Ministers said the UK’s international work is designed to break criminal supply chains and reduce the profits made by organised gangs.

  • NEWS STORY : Rail Campaign Launched to Tackle Sexual Harassment on Trains

    NEWS STORY : Rail Campaign Launched to Tackle Sexual Harassment on Trains

    STORY

    The Government and rail industry have launched a new campaign to tackle sexual harassment on trains and at stations. The campaign, part of the wider Enough initiative, will encourage passengers to report abuse to the British Transport Police and challenge behaviours including staring, intrusive questions and unwelcome comments.

    The Department for Transport and British Transport Police are also launching a national Safer Railway Scheme, under which train operators will be assessed on how they prevent harassment, support victims and train staff. Operators will need to meet clear safety standards to receive accreditation.

    Safeguarding minister Natalie Fleet said too many women experience fear and harassment during ordinary journeys. Ministers said the work forms part of the Government’s wider Violence Against Women and Girls Strategy, which aims to halve violence against women and girls within a decade.

  • NEWS STORY : New Laws Planned to Stop Children Using Sunbeds

    NEWS STORY : New Laws Planned to Stop Children Using Sunbeds

    STORY

    The Government has launched a consultation on new rules requiring mandatory age checks for sunbed use in England. Ministers said the proposals are intended to stop under-18s using commercial sunbeds and to strengthen existing protections against skin cancer risks.

    Under the plans, staff would need to be present to check identification before customers use sunbeds, closing loopholes linked to contactless and unsupervised systems. The Government also wants clearer health warnings and a ban on misleading claims that sunbeds can help with weight loss or prevent sunburn.

    Public Health and Prevention Minister Sharon Hodgson said children as young as 14 were still accessing sunbeds illegally and that the Government wanted to prevent cancer before it starts. The consultation will run until 14 August 2026, with new rules potentially introduced in 2027.

  • NEWS STORY : Ministers Consider Further Aid Cuts to Fund Defence Spending

    NEWS STORY : Ministers Consider Further Aid Cuts to Fund Defence Spending

    STORY

    UK officials have discussed further reductions to the international aid budget as ministers look for ways to fund higher defence spending. The Financial Times reported that the talks follow earlier plans to reduce aid spending from 0.5% to 0.3% of gross national income by 2027.

    The Government has committed to increasing defence spending in response to growing international security threats. Ministers have also faced pressure from NATO allies to go further, while campaigners and some MPs have warned that additional aid cuts could damage the UK’s influence and humanitarian work overseas.

    The debate highlights the difficult choices facing the Government as it seeks to balance defence, diplomacy and public spending limits. Ministers have said the UK remains committed to international development, but the aid budget remains under pressure as defence priorities rise.

  • NEWS STORY : Burnham Launches Makerfield Campaign with Call to Change Labour

    NEWS STORY : Burnham Launches Makerfield Campaign with Call to Change Labour

    STORY

    Andy Burnham has launched his campaign for the Makerfield by-election, saying the contest should be used to send a message that Labour needs to change. The Greater Manchester Mayor is seeking to return to the House of Commons after being selected as Labour’s candidate for the seat.

    The Guardian reported that Burnham used the campaign launch to set out positions on housing, immigration, the economy and electoral reform. He said the by-election was not about returning to Westminster for its own sake, but about changing the direction of politics and reconnecting Labour with communities that had lost confidence in the party.

    The by-election follows the resignation of Josh Simons, who stepped down as MP to allow Burnham to stand. The contest is expected to be closely watched because of Labour’s internal tensions and the challenge from Reform UK in a seat Labour has historically held.