Tag: Press Release

  • PRESS RELEASE : Robin Swann welcomes confirmation of health pay awards in Northern Ireland [December 2022]

    PRESS RELEASE : Robin Swann welcomes confirmation of health pay awards in Northern Ireland [December 2022]

    The press release issued by the Ulster Unionists on 8 December 2022.

    The Former Ulster Unionist Minister of Health Robin Swann has welcomed the decision from the Department of Health to implement the independent pay review body’s recommendations for health staff.

    Robin Swann said:

    “This is very welcome but belated confirmation that our health workers in Northern Ireland will receive the same rate of pay as their counterparts in England and Wales. Earlier this year when the recommendations were announced, I made it clear that I accepted the increases and stated I wished to see them implemented as quickly as they could legally be delivered.

    “Restoring pay parity was the very first decision I took as Minister in early January 2020 and it’s been shameful that due to lack of a functioning Executive, a gap in pay had  developed once again over recent months.

    “Whilst I fully appreciate that the national pay recommendations of at least an extra £1,400 per year or a 4.5% increase still falls short of what many HSC staff are seeking in the midst of the current cost of living crisis, it’s an outrage that they had to wait so long into the year for even the basic increase to be implemented.

    “I wrote to the Secretary of State over a month ago urging him to intervene and so I very much welcome the recent clarity on public sector pay policy which has now legally allowed this decision to be taken.

    “I am concerned however that given the ongoing budgetary uncertainty at Stormont and the fact that the budget for 2022/23 has only just been agreed four months from the end of the year, that the funding for this essential pay award may come at the expense of investing critical resources at the continued efforts underway to tackle waiting times. I really hope it isn’t an either-or situation, but if necessary, the Department of Health locally must be provided with the additional funds. Patients and key service improvements in areas such as cancer & mental health mustn’t be allowed to fall victim to the damaging political and budgetary delays outside of their control.

    Robin Swann concluded: “Given we are now only a couple of weeks away from Christmas it’s my sincere hope that the increases in pay, backdated to April 2022, can be included in the December pay of our health workers.”

  • PRESS RELEASE : Mary Lou McDonald’s comments are an insult to the Irish People – John Stewart [November 2022]

    PRESS RELEASE : Mary Lou McDonald’s comments are an insult to the Irish People – John Stewart [November 2022]

    The press release issued by the Ulster Unionists on 30 November 2022.

    The Ulster Unionist Party’s East Antrim MLA John Stewart said:

    “On television on Monday night Mary Lou McDonald was asked if she believed IRA violence was justified. In response she said ‘I believe what was justified was the right of the Irish people to stand against British Imperialism and to fight for our freedom.’

    “Her comments encapsulate perfectly the parallel universe in which those who endorse or seek to justify physical force republicanism operate.

    “The IRA were not acting on behalf of the Irish people – no matter how you might choose to define the term ‘the Irish people.’

    “The Irish people did not endorse the IRA campaign because their political wing – Sinn Fein – received a very small vote during the 1970s and 1980s and was so small it could not be said to constitute an endorsement of anything.

    “The Irish people did not authorise or carry out atrocities such as Bloody Friday, Claudy, Birmingham, La Mon, Enniskillen or Warrington. Nor did the Irish people ask for the murder of Garda Jerry McCabe, Garda Gary Sheehan, Private Patrick Kelly or Prison Officer Brian Stack let alone the many RUC officers, Prison Officers and Soldiers murdered in Northern Ireland.

    “Those were solely the work of the Provisional IRA. They were terrorist acts by people who had no mandate and who operated under no lawful authority.

    “To claim that those responsible were in any way acting on behalf of the Irish people is to insult the Irish people and try to make them complicit in foul and brutal murders.

    “No normal democratic political party would find itself in the position Sinn Fein chooses to place itself in time and time again, where it can’t condemn terrorist murders without trying to caveat or equivocate.”

  • PRESS RELEASE : Nicholson slams ‘disgusting’ attack on local Orange hall [November 2022]

    PRESS RELEASE : Nicholson slams ‘disgusting’ attack on local Orange hall [November 2022]

    The press release issued by the Ulster Unionists on 29 November 2022.

    Armagh Ulster Unionist councillor Sam Nicholson has hit out at a ‘disgusting’ attack on his local Orange Hall at Crosskeys Road, Keady.

    Mr Nicholson said:

    “I am totally disgusted at the low life thugs who under the cover of night have sprayed sectarian and offensive slogans across the front of my local Orange Hall, which is the home of Crosskeys LOL 88.

    “It is a despicable act and abhorrent that anyone could stoop so low. Our local community feels violated by this incident and people in the area are shocked and saddened that there are those who would seek to inflict misery and heartache upon our lodge and our band. We simply want to be respected and be able to celebrate our Orange culture but clearly our very existence is too much for some who are so insecure in their own culture and identity that they feel the need to attack the symbols of others.

    “This is nothing less than narrow-minded bigotry. It is not just an attack on bricks and mortar, this is an attack on Unionists and the Orange Order and the many people in the community who use this facility. I utterly condemn those responsible. There can be no place in society for this bitterness and hatred and it speaks volumes about the perpetrators.

    “I have been in contact with the police to report this matter and also share the views and distress of the local community.

    “I also call on all political leaders to condemn those who continue to attack Orange halls. It speaks volumes that this hall has to have security shutters across all its windows and doors in the first place.

    “I appeal to anyone with information to report it to the PSNI by contacting them on 101.”

  • PRESS RELEASE : McCready condemns cowards behind attacks in the North West [November 2022]

    PRESS RELEASE : McCready condemns cowards behind attacks in the North West [November 2022]

    The press release issued by the Ulster Unionists on 23 November 2022.

    Londonderry Ulster Unionist Councillor Ryan McCready has described the people behind the spate of recent attacks in Londonderry and Strabane as absolute cowards and warned that local people will not be intimidated.

    Alderman Ryan McCready said:

    “Over this past week there have been a number of attacks in Londonderry and Strabane. These have been attacks on the entire community and the one heartening thing is the outright condemnation that has resulted from right across the political spectrum and from every shade of opinion.

    “My message to the people responsible is very straightforward. You are absolute cowards, nobody wants you in society, you are the dregs of society and the people of this City and district will stand up to you and won’t be intimidated.

    “The days of the men and women of violence using intimidation, threats or real violence are long gone. People want the chance now to live in peace with their neighbours. They know that violence is futile and only ends up creating misery and filling prisons and graveyards.

    “They want their children to be able to go to school and receive their education that opens the pathway to jobs and opportunities. They want to be able to go to work and provide for their families. And they want their elderly relatives to live in their own homes free from fear. All that was disrupted by security alerts and bomb attacks this past week.

    “If anyone has a problem with policing or politics then let them stand for election and seek the support of the people of Londonderry, Strabane or anywhere else in Northern Ireland. That is how change is achieved, with the support of the people.

    “Once again I would appeal to anyone who can help the police to catch these gangsters to come forward with information and get these people removed from society so we can return to living without fear.”

  • PRESS RELEASE : Nesbitt praises bravery of police officers following Strabane attack [November 2022]

    PRESS RELEASE : Nesbitt praises bravery of police officers following Strabane attack [November 2022]

    The press release issued by the Ulster Unionists on 18 November 2022.

    The Ulster Unionist Party’s Policing Board representative Mike Nesbitt MLA said:

    “Last night’s attack on police officers in Strabane was an attack on the entire community.

    “In addition to the widespread disruption caused to the local community in that area of Strabane, two police officers will have been traumatised and my thoughts and best wishes are with those officers, their families and their colleagues at this time.

    “Every single community in Northern Ireland is entitled to a police service. Nobody has the right to attack anyone, least of all police officers whose role is to keep us all safe and to solve crime. The bravery of our police officers is in total contrast to the cowardice of those who skulk in the shadows and plot to attack them.

    “Whether you want a new Ireland, a united Ireland or a partitioned Ireland, you have no right, no authority and no mandate to murder police officers or anyone else.

    “Whoever was responsible for this attack is trying to drag this country back to a past we have long since left behind. They have nothing positive or of any use to offer and they need to be caught, brought before the courts and punished to the full extent of the law.”

  • PRESS RELEASE : Volodymyr Zelenskyy had a telephone conversation with Joseph Biden [December 2022]

    PRESS RELEASE : Volodymyr Zelenskyy had a telephone conversation with Joseph Biden [December 2022]

    The press release issued by the President of Ukraine on 12 December 2022.

    President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy had a telephone conversation with President of the United States of America Joseph Biden.

    The Head of State expressed his gratitude to the U.S. counterpart for another package of defense aid announced last Friday. As well as for consistent support of the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine, for leadership in consolidating international efforts to counter Russian aggression.

    Volodymyr Zelenskyy emphasized that Ukraine wants to achieve peace and drew attention to the importance of consolidating international efforts to reach this goal. It was for this purpose that during the G-20 summit, the President of Ukraine presented the Peace Formula, which provides for 10 critically important steps, the implementation of which will make it possible to stop the war.

    Volodymyr Zelenskyy outlined the vision of the Ukrainian side regarding further work in this important direction, and came forward with the initiative to convene a Global Peace Summit.

    Volodymyr Zelenskyy expressed his gratitude for the unprecedented defense and financial assistance provided by the United States to Ukraine. It helps not only to succeed on the battlefield, but also to maintain the stability of our nation’s economy.

    The Head of State informed about the consequences of the Russian missile terror, which led to the destruction of about 50% of the Ukrainian energy infrastructure.

    In this regard, Volodymyr Zelenskyy praised the aid allocated by the United States for the reconstruction of Ukraine’s energy system. He expressed hope for further deepening of cooperation in this area.

    The President also emphasized the importance of capable air defense. Volodymyr Zelenskyy called on President Biden to do everything possible to help protect the civilian population of Ukraine and its critical infrastructure. This is especially important right now, when the winter period has begun in Ukraine.

    The President of Ukraine thanked the U.S. Leader for confirming his readiness to support Ukraine as long as necessary, as well as for the clear and consistent commitment of the United States to the principle of sovereignty and territorial integrity of our state within internationally recognized borders.

  • PRESS RELEASE : RSH publishes regulatory judgement for Christian Action (Enfield) Housing Association [December 2022]

    PRESS RELEASE : RSH publishes regulatory judgement for Christian Action (Enfield) Housing Association [December 2022]

    The press release issued by the Regulator of Social Housing on 14 December 2022.

    In a regulatory judgement published today (14 December 2022), the Regulator of Social Housing has concluded that Christian Action (Enfield) Housing Association Limited is non-compliant with the governance element of the economic standards, and has downgraded it to G3 status.

    CAHA has been unable to provide assurance to the regulator that it is managing its risks and business planning in an effective way. Weaknesses in its financial governance, as well as a lack of effective board oversight and scrutiny, meant that CAHA failed to identify the potential crystallisation of a serious risk in sufficient time. CAHA also failed to inform the regulator of these risks in a timely way, and its communication has fallen below the standard expected by RSH.

    In response to the regulator’s reactive investigation, CAHA has started to review its approach to governance and risk management. It is also implementing controls to improve the management of its repairs and maintenance service.

    Harold Brown, RSH’s Senior Assistant Director for Investigations and Enforcement, said:

    We have found significant weaknesses in Christian Action Housing Association’s governance, which has exposed it to financial risks. We will monitor the provider closely as it works to resolve these failings and return to compliance with our standards.

  • PRESS RELEASE : Sinn Fein blushes shouldn’t be a factor in publication of Stakeknife report [December 2022]

    PRESS RELEASE : Sinn Fein blushes shouldn’t be a factor in publication of Stakeknife report [December 2022]

    The press release issued by the DUP on 13 December 2022.

    Commenting on reports that the report from Operation Kenova, set up to examine the role of IRA informer ‘Stakeknife’, could be extensively redacted, North Belfast DUP MLA Phillip Brett said.

    “Whilst everyone will understand that issues impacting upon national security will need to be protected, a report shrouded in secrecy will not help us deal with the past in Northern Ireland.

    Everyone should be equal under the law and equally subject to it. Any person who broke the law should be held accountable for their actions. This report should help shine a light on the activities of Stakeknife and ensure that families are given answers to some of the many questions they have.

    It is no secret that Sinn Fein have most to fear about the publication of this report or indeed anything which delves into the security services and their use of agents in Northern Ireland. Their blushes however should not be a factor in any decision relating to the publication of this report.”

  • PRESS RELEASE : Internal Conservative Party politics holding up Protocol Bill [December 2022]

    PRESS RELEASE : Internal Conservative Party politics holding up Protocol Bill [December 2022]

    The press release issued by the DUP on 13 December 2022.

    DUP North Antrim MP Ian Paisley has said the Prime Minister’s decision to pause the NI Protocol Bill’s progression is more related to internal Conservative Party politics than the chances of getting a fair, balanced and sustainable agreement in Brussels.

    Mr Paisley said,

    “The Protocol must be replaced by arrangements that Unionists can support. Whether that is achieved by the Protocol Bill or by negotiation is a matter for the Government however until the concerns of unionists are addressed, there will be no solid basis for functioning devolved government.

    The Government cannot have powersharing and the Protocol at the same time. We tried to change the Protocol whilst operating Stormont but Brussels refused to even recognise our concerns.

    The reported decision to stall the Protocol Bill may be spun as “giving talks a chance” but I suspect it is more to do with Conservative Party politics and wrecking amendments in the Lords.

    Those who seek to derail and delay the Protocol Bill must realise that they are delaying devolution. Indeed, derailing the Bill significantly weakens the UK negotiating position.

    The Government must face up to the fact that only decisive action on its part will work for unionism.”

  • PRESS RELEASE : Sinn Fein will never decide who it was OK for the IRA to murder [December 2022]

    PRESS RELEASE : Sinn Fein will never decide who it was OK for the IRA to murder [December 2022]

    The press release issued by the DUP on 12 December 2022.

    East Belfast MP Gavin Robinson has said that Sinn Fein do not and will never have the authority to sit in judgement and decide who it was OK for the IRA to murder. His comments follow an interview where Sinn Fein President Mary Lou McDonald said the IRA should not have harmed any member of the Garda.

    He also said there was a link between Sinn Fein’s attempts to sanitise and justify IRA violence and recent incidents of sectarian behaviour including phrases like “Up the RA”.

    The DUP MP said, “By singling out Garda officers, the Sinn Fein President not only casts a de facto judgement on the murder of police officers in Northern Ireland, but on everyone else targeted by the Provisional IRA. Michelle O’Neill has told us in the past that there is no hierarchy of victims, yet we see a very clear hierarchy within Sinn Fein’s own warped ideology. The blunt fact is that Sinn Fein do not and will never have the authority to sit in judgement and decide who it was ok for the IRA to murder and who it was not.

    These comments all emanate from Sinn Fein’s determination to gaslight us all into believing their violence was different; that their gangsterism was justified and that their murder can be celebrated. Just as there is no difference between Dublin gangsters and the Provisional IRA there is also no difference between dissident republicans throwing a Christmas party to celebrate the attempted murder of two police officers and Sinn Fein holding events which celebrate individuals whose only ‘contribution’ to society was to engage in the very same type of attacks on RUC officers or others.

    Mary Lou McDonald may claim not to be the author of history, but she and her colleagues are feverishly attempting to be the authors of freshly rewritten history. It is unclear whether Sinn Fein are using recent incidents relating to phrases like “Up the Ra” as cover for stepping up their rhetoric attempting to sanitise and justify IRA violence, or whether people feel the words and actions of Sinn Fein give them cover for their offensive, sectarian behaviour. What cannot be avoided however is the increase in both of these over recent months.”