Tag: News Story

  • NEWS STORY : Burnham to review early release scheme after anger over PC Harper killers

    NEWS STORY : Burnham to review early release scheme after anger over PC Harper killers

    STORY

    Prime Minister Andy Burnham has said he will review the Government’s early prisoner release scheme after concerns that two men convicted over the killing of PC Andrew Harper could be released from prison earlier than expected. Burnham said he would examine the policy with Justice Secretary Alex Norris before it proceeds, amid growing criticism from the police, opposition politicians and PC Harper’s family.

    The controversy centres on Albert Bowers and Jessie Cole, who were convicted of manslaughter in 2020 and each sentenced to 13 years in custody. They were passengers in the vehicle involved in PC Harper’s death and may be eligible for release after serving half their sentences under the new Sentencing Act arrangements due to begin in September.

    PC Harper, a Thames Valley Police officer, died in 2019 after being dragged behind a car while responding to a report of a quad bike theft. The case prompted national outrage and later led to Harper’s Law, which introduced mandatory life sentences for offenders who kill emergency workers while committing a crime.

    Burnham said the “main perpetrator” in PC Harper’s killing would not be subject to early release. That refers to Henry Long, who was given a 16-year extended sentence after being convicted of manslaughter.

    The Prime Minister said he understood the pressure on prison places but wanted to assure himself that every part of the policy had been examined before it went further. He said he could not promise to change the policy completely, but would look at it in detail with the Justice Secretary.

    Debbie Adlam, PC Harper’s mother, has strongly criticised the possibility that Bowers and Cole could be released early. She described the prospect as an insult to her son’s memory and said the news had left her feeling sick.

    The early release scheme is intended to ease pressure on overcrowded prisons, with thousands of offenders expected to be affected during its first months. Critics argue that the policy risks damaging public confidence in the justice system if it applies to offenders convicted of serious violence.

  • NEWS STORY : British Transport Police Ask for Help After Serious Incident in Ilford

    NEWS STORY : British Transport Police Ask for Help After Serious Incident in Ilford

    STORY

    British Transport Police have released an image of a woman they want to identify after a member of rail staff was assaulted at Ilford railway station in east London. Officers are investigating the incident and believe the woman shown in the images may have information which could assist their enquiries.

    The incident happened shortly before 5pm on 22 May, when a woman passed through the station’s ticket barriers without paying. British Transport Police said she was challenged and then responded by spitting in a member of rail staff’s face.

    The woman then quickly left the station. Officers have now issued the images as part of an appeal to the public for help identifying her.

    Anyone who recognises the woman is asked to contact British Transport Police by texting 61016 or calling 0800 40 50 40. The force has asked people to quote reference 530 of 22 May when providing information.

    Information can also be given anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. British Transport Police said the investigation remains ongoing.

  • NEWS STORY : Burnham tells Zelenskyy UK support for Ukraine will not change

    NEWS STORY : Burnham tells Zelenskyy UK support for Ukraine will not change

    STORY

    Prime Minister Andy Burnham has told President Volodymyr Zelenskyy that the UK’s support for Ukraine will remain unchanged under his new Government. The two leaders spoke by phone on Monday afternoon, shortly after Burnham entered Downing Street as Prime Minister.

    Downing Street said Burnham reaffirmed his and the UK’s “resolute commitment” to the people of Ukraine. He also underlined that there would be no change in Britain’s approach, including continued pressure on Russia.

    The call was one of Burnham’s first international engagements as Prime Minister and was intended to signal continuity in UK foreign policy. Britain has been one of Ukraine’s most prominent European supporters since Russia’s full-scale invasion.

    The two leaders also discussed Burnham’s previous work with Ukrainian mayors during his time as Mayor of Greater Manchester. Downing Street said they spoke about the UNBROKEN Cities Network, which provides rehabilitation support to Ukraine.

    Burnham offered his deepest condolences to the families and loved ones of Ukrainians killed in recent Russian attacks. The call came as Ukraine continues to face missile and drone strikes against civilian and infrastructure targets.

    The Prime Minister invited Zelenskyy to visit the UK at the earliest opportunity. Downing Street said Burnham looked forward to discussing how Britain and Ukraine could strengthen defence for both Ukraine and Europe as a whole.

    The invitation suggests that defence co-operation with Ukraine will remain an early priority for the new Government. Burnham has already indicated that support for Ukraine, NATO and European security will form a central part of his foreign policy approach.

  • NEWS STORY : Burnham and Trump discuss defence and Middle East in first call

    NEWS STORY : Burnham and Trump discuss defence and Middle East in first call

    STORY

    Burnham and Trump discuss defence and Middle East in first call

    Prime Minister Andy Burnham has spoken to United States President Donald Trump shortly after taking office, in his first reported call with the American leader since entering Downing Street. The Prime Minister began by congratulating Trump on a successful World Cup and the two leaders agreed that England had had an excellent tournament.

    Burnham also said he hoped to show Trump what Manchester had to offer during a future visit. Downing Street said the new Prime Minister used the call to set out his vision for Government, including a focus on reindustrialisation across the country and delivering growth in every postcode.

    The Prime Minister also underlined his commitment to defence and security, saying the protection of the UK and its allies would be at the top of his agenda. The call came on Burnham’s first afternoon in office, following the formal transfer of power from Sir Keir Starmer.

    Trump updated Burnham on the situation in the Middle East. Burnham said the UK remained committed to securing the movement of shipping in the Strait of Hormuz, which Downing Street linked to supporting global supply chains and helping to drive down costs for businesses and families.

    The call signals early continuity in the UK’s relationship with the United States under Burnham’s premiership, particularly on defence, allied security and international trade routes. Downing Street said the two leaders looked forward to speaking again soon.

  • NEWS STORY : John Healey appointed Chancellor in Burnham’s first major Cabinet move

    NEWS STORY : John Healey appointed Chancellor in Burnham’s first major Cabinet move

    STORY

    John Healey has been appointed Chancellor by new Prime Minister Andy Burnham, in the first major appointment of the new Government following Sir Keir Starmer’s resignation. The appointment came as Burnham began reshaping the Cabinet on his first day in Downing Street, with several senior figures from the Starmer administration leaving Government as the new Prime Minister sought to establish his own political direction.

    Healey, who previously served as Defence Secretary and has held Treasury, housing and local Government roles during his long parliamentary career, will now take charge of the Government’s economic policy at a time of pressure over public spending, growth and living costs. His appointment was seen as a surprise by some in Westminster, with Shabana Mahmood and Ed Miliband among those previously discussed for the Treasury, but Burnham is expected to argue that Healey brings Cabinet experience and a grounding in domestic policy to one of the most sensitive posts in Government.

  • NEWS STORY : Richard Hermer Leaves Government

    NEWS STORY : Richard Hermer Leaves Government

    STORY

    Richard Hermer has left Government as Andy Burnham begins reshaping his ministerial team after replacing Sir Keir Starmer as Prime Minister. Hermer had served as Attorney General since July 2024 and was one of the most prominent legal figures brought into Government by Starmer after Labour’s general election victory.

    The move forms part of a wider clear-out of senior figures associated with Starmer’s administration. David Lammy, Steve Reed, Rachel Reeves and Peter Kyle were also among those leaving Government as Burnham moved quickly to assemble his own team on his first day in Downing Street.

    Hermer’s departure is politically significant because the Attorney General is the Government’s principal legal adviser and oversees bodies including the Crown Prosecution Service, the Serious Fraud Office and the Government Legal Department. The office also has public interest functions, including references of unduly lenient sentences and interventions in certain legal proceedings.

    Hermer was appointed Attorney General on 5 July 2024, shortly after Starmer entered Downing Street. A barrister who was called to the Bar in 1993 and took silk in 2009, he had previously been head of chambers at Matrix and had served as a deputy High Court judge.

  • NEWS STORY : Lord Timpson leaves Government as Burnham prepares prisons reshuffle

    NEWS STORY : Lord Timpson leaves Government as Burnham prepares prisons reshuffle

    STORY

    Lord Timpson has stepped down as prisons minister after it has been reported that Andy Burnham decided not to keep him in the role as part of his first Government reshuffle. The businessman and prison reform campaigner became the first ministerial departure on the day Burnham took over from Sir Keir Starmer as Prime Minister.

    Timpson was appointed Minister of State for Prisons, Probation and Reducing Reoffending in July 2024 after leaving his role as chief executive of the Timpson Group. His appointment was seen as one of Starmer’s more unusual early ministerial choices because of his long record of employing former prisoners and campaigning for rehabilitation.

    The Times reported that Burnham had decided to free up the prisons brief for a Labour MP as he builds his new ministerial team. Timpson is expected to return to the family business, which is best known for key cutting, shoe repairs and other high street services.

    Confirming his departure, Timpson said it had been an honour to serve as minister for prisons, probation and reducing reoffending. He said he was leaving with the prison and probation service in a “much healthier and happier state” than when he took office two years ago.

  • NEWS STORY : UK invests £62 million in homegrown space technology

    NEWS STORY : UK invests £62 million in homegrown space technology

    STORY

    The Government has announced more than £62 million in funding for British businesses, universities and researchers to develop homegrown space technology. Ministers said the investment would strengthen national resilience, improve satellite communications and help protect the UK’s independence in a strategically important sector.

    The funding was announced by Space Minister Liz Lloyd at the Farnborough International Airshow on Monday 20 July 2026. The UK Space Agency said the money would support new satellite communications systems, space innovation projects and technologies designed to help monitor and protect assets in orbit.

    The Government said space-based services were increasingly important to daily life and national security, including broadband for remote communities and mobile connectivity on trains, aircraft and ships. Ministers said building more domestic capability would reduce dependence on overseas technologies and strengthen Britain’s ability to act independently. The package includes £42 million for the Connectivity in Low Earth Orbit programme, known as C-LEO. The programme is opening its third funding round for UK businesses, universities and research organisations developing satellite communications technology.

    Projects applying for C-LEO funding must focus on at least one of five areas: on-board processing, active antennas, optical links, networking and routing, or user terminals. The latest round will bring total C-LEO funding for UK organisations to up to £77 million. A further £20 million will be made available through the National Space Innovation Programme. The funding call will support industry, universities and research organisations, with projects due to begin in April 2027.

  • NEWS STORY : Thames Water warns funding could run out before end of year

    NEWS STORY : Thames Water warns funding could run out before end of year

    STORY

    Thames Water could run out of money before the end of 2026 unless it secures further financial support, placing renewed pressure on the Government to decide whether the troubled utility should enter special administration. The company supplies water and wastewater services to about 16 million customers across London and the Thames Valley.

    The company said it had £588 million of liquidity available at the end of June, consisting of £515 million in cash and £73 million from an undrawn loan facility. It said that, with the continuing support of creditors, it had sufficient funding only until the final quarter of 2026.

    Reports suggest the company could become insolvent as early as November if a longer-term rescue agreement is not reached. Thames Water has accumulated debts of about £20 billion following years of borrowing, underinvestment and criticism of its environmental and operational performance.

    A consortium of creditors has proposed a rescue package involving £3.35 billion of new equity and billions of pounds of further borrowing. The plan would also write off a substantial portion of the company’s debt and introduce a programme intended to improve performance and infrastructure.

    The proposal has proved politically controversial because creditors have sought concessions over regulatory penalties and other liabilities. Ministers have expressed concern that any agreement must protect customers and the environment rather than provide an overly generous settlement for investors.

    Prime Minister Andy Burnham is reported to be considering placing Thames Water into the Special Administration Regime, which would allow essential services to continue while the company was restructured or transferred to new ownership. The process would represent the first use of the special water administration arrangements for a major British utility.

  • NEWS STORY : Rupali Wagh jailed after fraudulently claiming more than £200,000 in Covid loans

    NEWS STORY : Rupali Wagh jailed after fraudulently claiming more than £200,000 in Covid loans

    STORY

    Cardiff businesswoman Rupali Wagh has been jailed after fraudulently claiming £216,250 from the Covid Bounce Back Loan Scheme across four companies. The Insolvency Service said Wagh secured five loans between May and September 2020 by inflating company turnover figures, obtaining duplicate loans and using public funds for personal purposes.

    Wagh, of Harrison Way, Cardiff, pleaded guilty to five counts of fraud at Cardiff Crown Court in November 2025. She was jailed for two years and three months when she appeared at Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court on Friday 17 July 2026.

    The 50-year-old made her first fraudulent application in May 2020 for One2Four Accounting Ltd, a bookkeeping company she had set up in 2018. She claimed the company had a turnover of £65,000, although its actual turnover for the previous calendar year was £39,000.

    After receiving the £16,250 loan, Wagh transferred the money into her personal bank account. The Insolvency Service said she spent most of it paying off debts and buying stocks and shares.

    The following month, Wagh applied for a £50,000 loan for Talensetu UK Ltd. She claimed the business had a turnover of £218,000, even though dormant accounts filed by the company showed that it was not trading.

    Within days of receiving the money, Wagh transferred the full £50,000 into her personal account. The Insolvency Service said she spent the money on personal finance and stocks and shares, and transferred more than £25,000 to an account in India.

    Wagh then applied for a second £50,000 Bounce Back Loan for Talensetu UK Ltd in July 2020, using a different bank. She falsely declared that this was the company’s only application under the scheme.

    A fourth fraudulent application followed in August 2020, when Wagh sought £50,000 for White Coconut Ltd, which traded as an Indian street food outlet in Cardiff. The Insolvency Service said she claimed a turnover of £252,000, contradicting a £72,000 estimate she had provided on a bank account application.

    Her final fraudulent application came in September 2020 for Indian Canteen Ltd, another street food business. She claimed the company had a turnover of £206,000, despite previously estimating turnover of £82,000 on a bank account application.

    David Snasdell, chief investigator at the Insolvency Service, said Wagh had systematically targeted a scheme designed to help genuine businesses survive the pandemic. He said she lied about turnover, obtained duplicate loans for the same businesses and used the money to pay off personal debts and buy stocks and shares.

    The Insolvency Service said Wagh initially tried to blame a third party for one of the loan applications, claiming someone else using her computer had made the application without her knowledge. She later retracted the claim and accepted that she had acted alone.

    Wagh admitted using the funds to clear personal credit card debts and loans, saying she believed that paying off her personal debts would help her businesses. The Insolvency Service is now seeking to recover the fraudulently obtained funds under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002.